Dr.S.R.Rathinam FAMS, PhD, Prof. of Ophthalmology and Head of Uveitis Service is working at Aravind Eye Hospital &
PG Institute ophthalmology, Tamil Nadu, India
Her basic, epidemiological and clinical research over 25 years at uveitis clinic, Aravind Eye Care System uncovered the
cause, source and pathogenesis for three new unknown outbreaks, which include
Ocular Leptospirosis, Trematode eye
disease in children and Ocular West Nile virus infection
. She received the prestigious Prof. C.S Bhaskaran Oration award and P.Siva Reddy International Award for her Research on novel infectious uveitis etiologies from All India Ophthalmology Society ( AIOS) 2014 and from Indian Association of Medical Microbiologists (IAMM). She has made outstanding contributions to ophthalmic literature both in national and international arena. She is an elected member of International Uveitis Study Group (IUSG) since 2001.
DR. SR. RATHINAM
Head of the Uveitis clinic, Aravind Eye Care System
Teaching experience- 28 years
|Diploma in Oph.
||Aravind Eye Hospital
||Aravind Eye Hospital
||M.G. R University, Chennai.
||National Academy of Medical Sciences (India), New Delhi
Uveitis service -25 years
Invited Faculty American academy uveitis sub specialty day for past 10 years
Visiting Professor LVP eye institute, Bhuvaneswar
Invited Faculty in International Conferences: (31)
Invited Faculty in National Conferences – (102)
Total number of publication in peer reviewed journals, at present -97
Total citations of these publications received are 1527, h-index-24, i10-index- 41, fourty one papers have received more
than 10 citations. Maximum citation received by the land mark paper on epidemiology is 203.
The article, Rathinam SR, Babu M, Thundikandy R, et al A Randomized Clinical Trial Comparing Methotrexate and Mycophenolate
Mofetil for Noninfectious Uveitis. Ophthalmology. 2014 was one out of 12 uveitis papers selected by members of the American
Uveitis Society for their outstanding teaching value for residents published in 2014
She has contributed chapters for books published in India, United Kingdom, Germany and the United States of America, Co
Editor for Wills eye manual uvea atlas, USA and authored a manual on Ocular Pharmacology.
- Lecturer & Reader in Ophthalmology Aravind Eye Hospital - 1990-1999
- Prof. of Ophthalmology- Since 2000
- Specialty experience - Started Uveitis clinic at Aravind eye hospital under the guidance of Dr. P Namperumalsamy in January 1993.
Research experience- National and International basic research studies
- Prof. C.S Bhaskaran Oration Award, LVP Eye institute, Bhuvaneswar My Journey in Uveitis- 3rd July 2017,
P.Siva Reddy International Award - Research on novel infectious uveitis etiologies. All India Ophthalmology Society
( AIOS) AWARDS 2014.
- Elected to the Fellowship of the National Academy of Medical Sciences.(FAMS)
R.N.Mathur Award – Outstanding service in the field Medical ophthalmology – work done on Ocular Leptospirosis at
“All India Ophthalmological Conference” at Calcutta on January, 2001
- Recognised as an International Research Associate by Proctor Foundation, Sanfrancisco, Jan 2000 and in 2014
- Recognized as Proctor Associate Fellow by Proctor Foundation, Sanfrancisco. June 1997
- Bruce Ostler Award - for her work on Ocular leptospirosis from Proctor Foundation, University of California,Sanfrancisco, USA, June 1997
- Best Scientific poster award - First Indian Report on Epidemic Ocular Leptospirosis
- University First Rank in Diploma in Ophthalmology -1986-88
PhD guide recognization:
Proctor Foundation, San Francisco, USA on:-1997-1998
- PCR assay of aqueous humor in an epidemic outbreak of leptospirosis in India
Indian Council of Medical Research- 1997-2017
- Evaluation of PCR and other parameters in diagnosis of tubercular uveitis (1997-98)
- Value of culture and serology in ophthalmic complication of leptospirosis (2000-2001)
- Etiology and immunopathogenesis of subconjunctival and anterior chamber granulomatous uveitis in children of South India – Funded by ICMR (2011-2014).
- Kap Studies On Risk Factors Of Ocular Leptospirosis In South India,(2015-17)
Royal tropical institute Netherland-2001-2002
- A pilot study to establish the leptospiral etiology of uveitis.
Central university of Hyderabad-
- Study on nature of leptospiral antigen -2009
International Drug trials 2006-2012 (Principal investigator)- Seven
University of Shillong
Molecular diagnostics in trematode eye disease in children
Division of Virology, Defense Research and Development Establishment, (DRDE) Gwalior,
- Molecular diagnosis of West Nile virus infection in Human
PhD examiner for the following Universities:
- The TN Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai (2010)
- Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai (2011)
- Alagappa University, Karaikudi (2012)
- Hyderabad central University, Hyderabad
- Bharathidasan University, Trichy
- The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai
- Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai
Reviewer for following journals
- Associate editor – For the Journal, Ocular Immunology and Inflammation
- Co editor for Uveitis , Wills Eye Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinic Ophthalmology (Wills Eye Series) Lippincott, USA 2011
- The Cochrane Library
- American Journal of Ophthalmology
- Achieves of Ophthalmology
- Ocular Immunology and Inflammation
- Ocular infection and immunology
- Journal of Visualized Experiments.
- Journal of postgraduate medicine
- Middle East African Journal of Ophthalmology
- Indian journal of Ophthalmology
- Conducted conference- Uvea 360 Uveitis service – 25th year completion - 28th & 29 th January-2017
Course Chairman and Lead Faculty – Annual Research Methodology work shop for Post Graduate students at Aravind eye
hospital. Since 2008 till date.
- Conducted Uveitis update - Pre-conference session - TNOA 1994 - Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai.
Conducted Course on Basics on Uveitis & Neuro-Ophthalmology January, 20-21st, 1996 at Aravind Eye Hospital,
- Conducted III Symposium on Uveitis on I & II February 1998 at Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai.
- Conducted Symposium on Leptospirosis on 16th November 1998 at Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai.
- Conducted “All India Uveitis Conference” on 12 & 13th January 2000 at Aravind Eye Hospital.
- Conducted “Sixth All India Uveitis Conference” 2006 at Aravind Eye Hospital.