|Eligibility Criteria :||Candidates who have undergone ECCE training at AEH (Madurai / Coimbatore / Tirunelveli/ Pondicherry) Qualified practicing Ophthalmologist with MS / DO degree from recognized university with very good experience in ECCE/ IOL surgery.|
|No.of Positions:||1 per batch|
|Starting Date:||First of every month|
|Medium of Instruction:||English|
|Clinical Co-ordinator:||Dr. Haripriya|
|No. of Cases:||25|
|Started Year|Cataract Clinic: Centre for Advancement in Cataract Services
This is the largest cataract department in the world and is dedicated to excellence in cataract services. It is run by a team of senior consultants who work with junior consultants, long term fellows and residents along with trained paramedical staff including refractionists and counsellors. The state-of-the-art facilities available include higher end phacoemulsification systems, Zeiss Visulas YAG II plus laser, digital slit lamp photography unit etc
This course was started in March 2003 to train Ophthalmologists in manual SICS. For ophthalmic surgeons all over the world, manual SICS provides the ideal stepping stone to mastering phacoemulsification. The objective of this course is to convert an ECCE surgeon to perform SICS with the help of a well structured training program. Till date Aravind had trained more than three hundred ophthalmologist in SICS.
Highlights of the Course
- Aravind offers a state of the art wet lab facility which provides SICS training on cadaver eyes. Candidate will have training on cadaver eyes and Goat eyes at the wet lab prior to performing real time surgery.
- Surgeries supervised by senior instructors till the surgeon gains confidence to perform independent surgeries.
- Structured classes on various topics related to SICS with the help of videos.
- Access to various standard and recent books and videos in the library
- Post operative review of cases by senior consultants
- Maintenance of case records for future personal use
- Participation in Journal club/grand rounds/guest lectures.
- 1st week: Observing SICS and performing ECCE cases for 2 days
- 2nd week: SICS step surgery under the supervision
- 3rd & 4th week: Perform surgeries completely and independently. In the afternoon session, trainees can get practice in wet lab on human donor/animal eye/simulator
- Morning Session: Block room posting, live surgical observations and surgery
- Afternoon Session: Wet lab surgery practice in cadaver eyes
- Candidates attend morning ward rounds at least twice a week with the ward doctor to see the post-operative cases
- Afternoon ward rounds of complicated cases
- Discussion in detail about postoperative complications and management
- Lectures and post OP rounds in the evening
- At the end of fourth week assessment of progress and evaluation by the faculty
Accommodation will be provided for the selected candidates based on their request.Candidates posted in Madurai center can stay at Inspiration trainee’s hostel. For candidates selected for other centers, accommodation is available at postgraduate hostels.
For Madurai: Please click here to view the information about tariff and other details of the trainee’s hostel (Inspiration).
For Tirunelveli, Coimbatore & Pondicherry - Rs.3,000/month (for National candidates)- USD 120/month (for International candidates)
Food is served at the hostel itself and includes break-fast, lunch and dinner (local Indian menu). On Sundays, only breakfast will be provided. However there are number of good restaurants located within walking distance. Food expenses are separate and can be paid at the Hostel mess on a monthly basis.
Mode of Payment
Selected candidates will be intimated by e-mail/post, the payment should be made in the form of demand drafts, drawn in favour of "Aravind Eye Hospital" payable at "Madurai". International candidates can pay the course fee through wire transfer. Once paid fee is non refundable.
Admission/How to apply
- Applicants are requested to download the application forms from our website www.aravind.org and send the completed form along with the copy of the ophthalmology certificate to Course Coordinator by email /post /fax
- If you have difficulty in downloading the form, you can contact the course coordinator to get the forms by mail / post. (See contact info.)
- Status of the application form will be intimated two - three weeks after the receipt of the application form.